A recent Microsoft study found 6 in 10 girls said they’d feel more confident pursuing a STEM career if they knew someone already employed in these fields. The study noted “it’s important to show girls how the material can be applied in real-life situations, giving the topics more relevance in their lives.”
Girls aged 11-15 lose interest in STEM if not actively encouraged by a parent or teacher. While the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics predicts that technology professionals will experience the highest growth in job numbers between now and 2030, only a fraction of girls and women are likely to pursue degrees that enable them to fulfill these new jobs.
Girl Geek X is introducing a new partnership with Oakland Public Education Fund, a non-profit connecting groups with schools to make a positive impact on school culture and student achievement through relevant and meaningful volunteer projects.
We have ADOPTED a public Oakland school for the 2021-2022 school year, serving students grades 6-12. The Girl Geek X community will support the school staff with:
- August 6, 2021 (1pm-4pm): VOLUNTEER SIGNUP HERE – BACK TO SCHOOL SUPPORT! – Volunteer with the Girl Geek X community to help prepare for reopening by redoing bulletin boards, organizing supplies, weeding the garden, arranging classrooms etc. Covid-19 vaccination required.
- Late September 2021: COLLEGE PREPARATION CAREER PANEL – Panel to talk about college experience and then career in tech during 12th grade seminars or Private College and UC seminars. What are tech job options for people who go to Community College?
- Early December 2021: NATIONAL COMPUTER SCIENCE EDUCATION WEEK – Panel with Computer Science Classrooms (grades 9th and 10th) to share career journeys and demystify opportunities.
- February 2022: CAREER & COLLEGE EDUCATION PANEL – Panel on college experience and then careers in tech during 11th grade seminars, or private college and UC seminars for 12th grade.
- Early May 2022: TEACHER APPRECIATION – Write cards to educators to share appreciations. Girl Geek X is buying lunch for educators to say thank you for all that they do.
- Mid May 2022: SENIOR PROJECTS JUDGING – Serve on a panel of judges to provide feedback on Senior capstones (apps that address a need in the community).
- In the “More About You” section, it says “Choose the Option that Best Describes You”. Volunteers should select “Adopt an Oakland School Partner“.
- Once you click that, another question pops up asking “Where do you work / where are you affiliated?”. Volunteers should write “Girl Geek X“
- Look out for an e-signature email (subject line “Verify: Signed Response for Form “One-Time Volunteer Registration”) and you have to sign that form as Covid-19 liability waiver.
Our goal is to support students at Coliseum College Prep Academy in Oakland, California serving grades 6-12 with a computer science pathway, by providing access to role models from the professional community for these students.
Adopted School Demographics: 600 students, 100 staff
93% of students qualify for free lunch
80% of students accepted to 4 year schools with resources to attend
▪ 83% Latinx
▪ 12% Black or African American
▪ 2% Asian
▪ 1% White
▪ <1% Pacific Islander
▪ <1% Two or More Races
▪ <1% Filipino
▪ 2% Unspecified
In addition to volunteering with Girl Geek X at the above events, here are different volunteer opportunities run by the non-profit Oakland Public Education Fund:
- Volunteer weekly as a community volunteer (in-person aide, academic tutor, or career coach). Get matched with a classroom or individual student to support learning once a week or more.
- Volunteer to support students starting their own tech support program (common tech trouble-shooting responses, customer service, & entrepreneurship) – virtual mentorship from October 2021 thru May 2022.
- Volunteer as tech mentor for Senior capstone projects – Support the “programmers” to solve tech issues in their Android app creation to address the community issue/ need. This volunteer opportunity has 1 in-person meeting, then virtual meetings, with email communication, this November and December 2021.
If you are interested in one of these additional volunteer opportunities (supporting students starting tech support program or Senior capstone projects), please let Lamont Hill at email@example.com know.
If your employer wants to Adopt an Oakland School for the upcoming school year, please direct them to Lilly Smith at firstname.lastname@example.org.